Thursday, October 22, 2009

Panhandlers in Austin, Texas.

In the Austin American Statesman, the Editor writes an editorial entitled, " Who's sensibilities would be spared by expanding ban in Austin?" The discussion on whether the panhandling ban should be changed from 7-pm to 7-am to 24 hours a day. In his editorial he quotes Susan Morris saying, "I really don't think that's the issue downtown." She goes on to say, " The issue is the rising crime rate. And it's not from panhandling. It's gang activities. It's lewd and drunken behavior." I agree with Susan Morris and the Editor to an extent. Yes, a person wanting to preach about enviromental issues and someone asking for 50 cents is the same thing, but no, I wouldn't want either up in my face. Just the other day my brother's girlfriend was in a bad wreck. While we were waiting at Brakenridge, my friend and I decided to go to the store to get some food since the cafeteria was closed. When we got there, I was SO intimidated and scared of the panhandlers standing on the sidewalk. It may be because I'm not from Austin, nor live there, but these people made me feel extremely uneasy. At the end of this editorial he goes on to say that even though it is for safety measures, it doesn't make it right. I may have mixed feelings about this subject, but I do know one thing for certain, Austins safety should be the concern more than people's feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment